Job Posting for Operating Engineer – Shift Leader at TDSB
TDSB | Apr 01, 2023
Toronto District School Board
POSTED: March 30, 2023
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m., April 5, 2023
Operating Engineer – Shift Leader
Operations, Maintenance and Community Use
CUPE Local 4400, Unit D – 12 Months
Rate of Pay: $27.81 - $28.28 per hour
THIS POSTING IS BEING ADVERTISED INTERNALLY AND EXTERNALLY AT THIS TIME
The Toronto District School Board invites applications for the position of Operating Engineer – Shift
Under the direction of the Facility Team Leader, the Caretaking Team Leader and the Head
Caretaker, the Operating Engineer - Shift Leader will provide services in one of the Operations,
Maintenance and Community Use Learning Centres.
Summary of Duties:
The Operating Engineer – Shift Leader participates as an active team member by:
• Providing a safe, healthy and comfortable environment for all building occupants in accordance
with current caretaking cleaning standards.
• Directing the work of the on-site caretaking staff during the shift.
• Performing caretaking duties – including operating heating and ventilation equipment; pool
maintenance; receiving and delivering supplies; lifting; climbing; floor cleaning; mopping; moving
furniture; relamping; lunch room program duties; grounds cleaning and maintenance including
grass cutting, snow and ice removal, maintenance of grounds, garbage removal; operating heavy
powered cleaning equipment; etc.
• Ensuring the safe and continuous operation of all building operating equipment in accordance with
provincial/municipal statutes and Board policies and procedures.
• Maintaining a co-operative working relationship with the Principal, academic and support staff and
all other members of the school community.
• Maintaining appropriate records as required.
• Performing special duties as may be assigned by the Facility Team Leader, Caretaking Team
Leader or Regional Manager.
• Inspection/identification of deficiencies and/or hazards.
• A good command of written and oral English and the proven ability to communicate in a sensitive,
courteous and tactful manner.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Information Technology including the use of computers and related
• Commitment to customer service, continuous improvement and quality initiatives.
• Ability to maintain a co-operative working relationship with other members of Board staff at all
levels and the general public.
• A good work record including a record of reliable attendance and punctuality.
• A demonstrated ability to learn and perform a large variety of job-related duties, including
directing staff and the co- ordination of the caretaking workload of the shift.
• Proven ability to direct staff and delegate workload effectively, including the ability to pro-actively
identify and problem solve in the workplace.
• Proven ability to maintain a level of cleanliness in buildings, grounds and on premises consistent
with current T.D.S.B. standards.
• A good working knowledge of the care, operation and maintenance of building heating and
security systems, building alarm and monitoring systems.
• Knowledge of Health and Safety issues relevant to the role of Shift Leader.
• Physical ability to perform Shift Leader duties.
• A demonstrated commitment to work effectively in an environment which promotes equitable
practices and values diversity.
• Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
• A valid Operating Engineer’s Licence (minimum 4th Class) in accordance with the Technical
Standards and Safety Authority.
• Grade 10 or approved equivalent education.
• Applicants lacking the formal educational requirements but with extensive related experience will
Shift: Based on operational needs
Hours of Work: 8 hours per day
Work Year: 12 months
Rate of Pay: 4th Class Engineer Certificate - $27.81
3rd Class Engineer Certificate $28.14
2nd Class Engineer Certificate - $28.28
Effective Date: Monday, May 29, 2023 (expected date, subject to change)
1. Applicants must submit a valid, current copy of required licences or certifications.
2. It is the employee’s responsibility to ensure their application is received prior to 4:30 p.m. on the
3. Under the provisions of the collective agreement, the successful applicant will be considered as
part of the Caretaking Grouping and not the Group from which they previously belonged. To
understand the impact, please contact your Supervisor and/or your union representative.
4. First consideration will be given to CUPE 4400 Seniority List A employees who hold their 4th
Class (or higher) Engineering Certification.
5. Second consideration will be given to any CUPE 4400 Unit D employees who hold their 4th Class
(or higher) Engineering Certification.
6. Consideration will then be given to any applicants who hold their 4th Class (or higher) Engineering
7. Applicants who do not have the required qualifications will not be considered.
8. At the current time, this position is being advertised both internally and externally, therefore, should
there be no qualified applicants from within, external candidates will be considered.
9. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged
10.The Employer shall review the hours of work of existing employees and the economic impact
which will result if the Employer offers this position to such employee. Employees whose
combined total hours of work of this advertised position and any other position(s) held at the TDSB
attract overtime under the ESA shall not be considered for this vacancy.
• Submit your application in résumé form with a covering letter, and qualifications in one
complete document as opposed to attaching multiple documents. Résumés should indicate
qualifications, ability and experience applicable to this position.
• In the subject line of your email submission, please indicate relevant information in the
Employee Number – CUPE4400D/23/017 – Operating Engineer-Shift Leader
• Your application must include:
i. Your employee number (to be also referenced in the subject line)
ii. Job Competition number (to be also referenced in the subject line)
iii. A copy of your qualifications as listed under the Special Requirements section
• Only qualified applicants will be considered.
• Are to be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on April 5, 2023.
• Received after the deadline will be considered late.
• Should be submitted in one attachment in PDF format (MS Word can also be accepted)
using only ONE of the following methods:
1. Email to ESUnitsDandE@tdsb.on.ca
2. Fax to (416) 393-8878
Information regarding accessibility to TDSB locations is available at:
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring and promotion practices. We strive to
provide accommodation needs consistent with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants are
encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the hiring process.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will not be acknowledged in writing